Mondi, a leading global packaging and paper manufacturer, has been recognised in this year’s Austrian Green Star Packaging Awards for two recent sustainable packaging innovations developed using its customer-centric approach, EcoSolutions:
- Two products developed using Mondi’s EcoSolutions approach have been recognised:
- PerFORMing, a paper-based packaging with patented barrier for cheese slices, developed for Austrian retailer REWE
- A fully recyclable, mono-material thermoforming film for Austrian meat producer Hütthaler’s meat and sausage products
- Mondi’s EcoSolutions approach focuses on developing products for customers using paper where possible and plastic when useful
PerFORMing - paper-based packaging with special barrier coating to protect cheese slices
Austria’s biggest retailer REWE worked together with Mondi to launch a more sustainable cheese tray for their organic brand Ja! Natürlich. Mondi developed a special kraft paper, Advantage Formable Brown, to replace rigid plastic trays. Its unique stretch characteristics mean it can be formed into a shallow tray enhanced with a special barrier coating.
This PerFORMing technology combines 80% paper, a renewable and recyclable raw material, with a 20% barrier coating. “The adoption of this package allowed REWE to reduce the amount of plastic used by 70% and the carbon footprint by two-thirds,” said Marko Schuster, COO of Mondi Functional Paper & Films.
Fully recyclable thermoforming plastic film for meat
Mondi was able to reinvent packaging for Austrian meat producer Hütthaler. The packaging was designed for recycling while maintaining optimum barrier properties and replacing a previous, less sustainable, packaging.
“Together with Hütthaler, we developed a mono-material film solution for thermoforming applications that can be fully recycled, and still provides a barrier to protect food. The new film meets high food standards, preserves shelf life and also helps Hütthaler to save on disposal fees due to its recyclability,” said Andreas Koppitz, COO of Mondi's Consumer Flexibles business.
Schuster and Koppitz, on behalf of their teams, expressed how proud they are to win these awards. Both products underscore Mondi’s commitment to developing sustainable solutions that contribute to a better world.
Read more about PerFORMing here: “Mondi’s sustainable paper-based packaging solution for food trays”
Read more about the fully recyclable thermoforming plastic film here: “Mondi partners with meat producer Hütthaler to create new fully recyclable plastic packaging”
Technical details about PerFORMing:
- Formable paper packaging with a patented barrier
- Made from natural brown paper (Advantage Formable Brown)
- Ideally suited for shallow food trays (e.g. for cheese, meat or fish)
- High symmetrical stretch for uniform formability
- Suitable for existing filling lines
- Results in 70% less plastic used compared to rigid plastic trays
- 70% CO2 reduction compared to plastic alternative
Technical data for the recyclable thermoforming film:
- Newly developed plastic film for thermoforming applications, which fulfills all functionalities of previous multi-material structures
- Completely recyclable through the use of a mono-material
- Significant improvement of the CO2 balance compared to existing packaging is possible up to 50%
- Suitable for packaging products with excellent sealability requirements, as top and bottom film are made of the same material
- Gives food a longer shelf life due to a unique gas barrier
Mondi is a global leader in packaging and paper, contributing to a better world by making innovative, packaging and paper solutions that are sustainable by design. Our business is fully integrated across the value chain – from managing forests and producing pulp, paper and plastic films, to developing and manufacturing effective industrial and consumer packaging solutions. Sustainability is at the centre of our strategy and intrinsic in the way we do business. We lead the industry with our customer- centric approach, EcoSolutions, where we ask the right questions to find the most sustainable solution. In 2019, Mondi had revenues of €7.27 billion and underlying EBITDA of €1.66 billion.
Mondi has a premium listing on the London Stock Exchange (MNDI), and a secondary listing on the JSE Limited (MNP). Mondi is a FTSE 100 constituent, and has been included in the FTSE4Good Index Series since 2008 and the FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Index Series since 2007.
About The Green Star Packaging Award
The annual Green Star Packaging Awards recognize environmentally friendly packaging and recycling as well as packaging relevant improvements of operational processes in production, logistics and distribution. The award is given by the magazine Kompack as well as the Austrian Research Institute for Chemistry and Technology (ofi). All winners of a Green Star Packaging Award may also be nominated for the international WorldStar Packaging Award, which has been presented by the World Packaging Organization (WPO).